Thursday, October 4, 2012

Maternity Angry Birds Pig Costume!

My son has a thing for Angry Birds.  Last year he was the red angry bird and this year he wants to be the angry birds bomb (the black one).  I like to dress up with him on Halloween and this year I will be about to pop.  Sooo, I need a costume that will accommodate the big belluh!  That's if I make it that far (EDD Nov 5th).  Anyways I decided to keep it simple and just put a pig face on a green shirt.

For this project you will need:

Green Shirt (or Angry Bird Colored)
Various colors of felt for the face
hot glue gun
hot glue sticks
scissors
sewing machine
elastic
Face printout

I bought an XL shirt.  It is not a maternity shirt and figured it would give me plenty of room.  At first I was simply going to glue the face on but decided to put some elastic on the sides so that it would look more like a regular maternity shirt and I wouldn't have any gaping in the front.  The print out for the angry birds can be found here.  This link is for angry birds balloons but it serves the same purpose.


I traced the paper over the various colors of felt, then cut out the felt.  I glued the eye pupils and nose nostrils on their designated spots.

I then played around with the placement of my face.  I looked up a picture of an actual angry birds pig to see where things should be placed. 

So now that my face is cut out and ready to be put on the shirt I prepped the shirt.  My shirt during this time was in the wash.  Now it is done freshly dried and ready to go.  I am now going to attempt to explain how I did the ruching on the side.   I am not an expert seamstress by no means.  I still consider myself a beginner and most of the thing I do is by trial an error.  Someone more experienced I'm sure could make this look a lot better but this is just a Halloween costume I wasn't terribly concerned.

    

First I made sure my shirt was flat and ironed the sides so that I had a nice crease. I then did a loose stitch so that I could pull and creating the ruching effect.  I tried the shirt on to make sure the ruching would hit where I wanted it to.  Marked it with a pin, took shirt off, and tried to make sure that the ruching was evenly spaced.  I then pinned elastic to the ruched section.  Once pinned (make sure to change your thread spacing) I sewed the elastic on top of the ruched section.  And Voila, you can see the picture above on the far right is how it looks on.  I repeated the same process on the other side making sure that the ruching measured the same length from the underarm.

Now that my shirt is ready to go I pinned the face on while wearing the shirt.  I wanted to make sure the face hit my belly bump in the right place.  Aiden helped and decided that the crown should be centered up top and no ears.  I plan on making a hat or head band for the ears.

I might do something with the sleeves.  I haven't decided yet, they are a little too baggy for my taste.  :) This was extremely simple and super cheap! Aiden had to pose with me in his Angry Birds Red Costume.  We are a great match!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment