Monday, September 3, 2012

My First Project. Mod Podge Dresser

I am a pretty thrifty person.  If I can get something gently used rather than paying 100's of dollars I'm all over that!! My Mom and Dad gave me a dresser for Lillian's room.  It had some paint here and there on it and overall was just kind of dingy.  Well, I resurrected the beast and it is now pretty in various shades of pink!  I did not take a before picture of the entire dresser.  Blogging wasn't on my mind at the time.  This project showed me that I would make a horrible graffiti artist.  Seriously, that ish is hard! So after trying to spray paint it and failing miserably I bought some white paint and went to town.

For this project you will need:
Scrapbook paper (enough to cover the drawers)
Mod Podge
Paint Brush
Sponge Brush
Paint
Sand paper

Oh before I forget here is the link to the Pin Inspired...pin.

Ok, before I did anything I sanded everything down.  I wanted a good surface to make sure the paint/mod podge/ scrapbook paper stuck.  Next I painted the frame of the dresser white.

Below is a picture of the scarpbook paper that will be applied and the front of the drawers before I applied the mod podge and scrapbook paper.  


The front of the drawers should be sanded down.  You will then paint a thin layer of mod podge on the drawers (Oh make sure you take the knobs off!!) If the mod podge is to thick it will wrinkle the paper.  We don't want lumps! Now take into consideration the placement of your paper.  I did not do this.  You see that pretty stripped paper (cute right) well it made my drawers look like little flags. 


Do you see the flag appearance? 

Ok back to the details.  I gave the first layer of mod podge time to dry.  (we don't want wrinkles).  After it was dry I put another coat of mod podge over the paper so that it would sort of seal it all together.

While that was drying I painted my knobs.  I actually used a paper plat and inserted the screws in the plate.  It sort of held the knobs up so I could paint them without laying them down on wet paint.  This is an acrylic paint that I already had.  It is a brighter pink but I like the POP it gives to the dresser.

OK. The finished product!  I added a certificate looking piece of paper over one of the striped portions.  It has our baby girls name on it "Lillian Claire Bowen".  Once she is born I will fill in the date, with her weight and length at birth.  Now I didn't stop here.  As I said I didn't like the striped look.  So I found some adorable stickers and went to town! I'm sure when Lillian gets older she will have fun peeling them off but for now they are super cute!  


FINISHED!!

Now keep in mind this is something that can be changed as your child grows.  This is perfect for her nursery but as she grows and her interests change I can change the paper and BAM new furniture without the price.

Stay tuned for Aiden's Avengers Dresser.  Coming soon!




4 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try and do a Tinkerbell dresser for Elizabeth now. That's really cool Netty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to do Aiden's!!! It's going to be so cool! Finding Avengers scrapbook paper has turned into a problem :/ I found some fabric that I think I can use.

      Delete
    2. You should let me do a guest tutorial on tutus...

      Delete
    3. You could so do that!! And then I would be learning how to make them at the same time! Go for it!!

      Delete